Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Feathers in my yard

Everyday I see and hear all kinds of birds. We had a hoot owl that moved from our front tree to backyard. Which makes me happy cause don’t they eat mice? We have a bird nest in our rain gutter.
On our first week here. J's mom is looking out the kitchen window. She whispers,
“I’m watching the kids they lost their pet animal, they’re trying to catch it.”
I want to know what it is. Is it a kitten? puppy? rabbit? turtle? lizard? snake? What if it’s a mouse? Where are those kids? I need to find out about that animal!I go outside. I kneel down on the sidewalk. The girl and her brother are hovering around my bush. I ask what is it? They tell me a bird. I look. It’s a wild bird. I ask, “Is it yours?” They tell me no. I tell them to be careful. I don’t want them to get bit, rabies, or a virus.
     They look at me like crazy lady, with your messed up clothes. I was moving. I was not looking cute.     I introduced myself. I tell them good luck. Less than 5 min later, they walk away. Which is fine with me cause I don’t want some parents suing me cause their kid got bit in my yard by some wild bird.
     Is it the rain, why we have so many birds? J tells me it’s cause we have a lot of bugs. Yep we definitely have those in Texas, and lizards too.
   "Here lizard, lizard." J says when he sees them in the house, and he tries to catch them. They are small and fast, but they don't scare me!

A few weeks ago saw this dead bird on my outside table. It made me sad. So it’s not all lollipops and rainbows, but without death would there be no value in life?
The other day I asked J, "What kind of bird is that?" "The black one?" "yes." "A crow. I think it scared away the ugly pigeons and the owl. I don't hear the owl when the crows are around."
"Who cares about the pigeons?"  "Not me."
I wonder what crows symbolize?
Today though, I was taking out the recycling and saw feathers on the ground. How special is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

if the spirit moves you, type some words