Sunday, September 18, 2011

in the hood


There I am, 

walking in the neighborhood,

 where we stayed,
in New York City.
 

The local artist DeLaVega paints murals.


This mural was right down the street,
on the way to the subway.
This painting was on the wall,
 next to our apartment.

I don't know who painted this,
 but I like it.
This painting is my heart.
Read the banner, & you'll know why.

  They call the area 
El Barrio, or Spanish Harlem.

 
Up the block, working in the local bakery, there was a teen wearing a gold cross, & a white t-shirt.

 He reminded me of the kids I used to work with at the high school, well except he was wearing a Yankees hat.

My friend wanted to stay in Manhattan, in the center of the city, but I didn't.


Now do you get it?


8 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I just went on a walk with you! :)

    Glad you had a fun day out.


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my favourite artwork is graffiti, especially positive and or/politically aware graffiti. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah everyone should definitely Stay In School!

    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    nursery rhymes: little bo peep

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I go here, please?? It looks perfect. I love the mural.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicago is my fav movie too!!!Love evry single picture of this post!Happy Monday darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me graffiti can be artwork when done properly and I love how you styled the dress as a tunic!

    ReplyDelete

if the spirit moves you, type some words