Sunday, October 25, 2009

up n smoke

On Wednesdays we go to this place called Up N Smoke, but for some unknown reason we call it Smokin' Up Joes (i guess we like that name better).

Upon entering I am blasted with a voice and sound. Who is this? E describes Travis Richmond's voice as a cross between John Mellencamp and Jon Bon Jovi and it is. E is a tenor who has traveled over the world with church choirs and competitions. E stated Travis didn't miss a note.

Travis played my favorites "Wild Horses", "Running on Empty", and "Drops of Jupiter". J loved "Should I Stay or Should I Go". Many of his songs were from movies "Lunatic Fringe" from Visionquest, "In Your Eyes" from Say Anything, "Tiny Dancer" from Almost Famous, and "Somebody's Baby" from Fast Times At Ridgemont High (at my request). Travis ended the night with his favorite song "Desperado". That song is featured in the movie In America which is such an uplifting unique perspective of America as seen through the eyes of a family from another country. When the little girl sings "Desperado" acappella my heart melts. It's a good flick you should check out.

E wanted Travis to play Cher or "It's Rainin Men", but that just wasn't gonna happen. E did get a laugh when Travis broke his g string. I am talking about the guitar string, just so ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if the spirit moves you, type some words