Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Paper Arts

My printmaking teacher Terri, owns a little shop in Dallas called Paper Arts. She was having a Christmas sale, and I wanted to check out her store. There were huge sheets of beautiful paper that can be used for origami, collage, bookmaking, or whatever you choose.  All kinds of paper: marble, handmade, shiny, glitter, glossy, fabric, leaves, tie dyed. I got a couple of shots of some of her work before the battery on my camera died.

I asked her if she had heard of those paper dresses. She said that when she was a little girl she owned a red and white checked paper dress with a draw string. She would dance to her 45 single of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", "These Boots Are Made for Walkin", and "Downtown" on the flip side.

Things I heard in class. Someone said, It's not what I planned it to be, so I'm trying to figure it out.
 She said, Don't think about what you had. 

This will evolve to what it is. 

You can't go back and change this now. 

Just go forward.

You might want to go deeper. Look at the other lines. How deep are they?

Someone else said, I don't feel like I have as much control.

She said,  Same control just a different tool, and a different mark. It's what you're comfortable with.

Someone else in class asked, They're like static electricity. Do they attract or repel each other?

No comments:

Post a Comment

if the spirit moves you, type some words